(This article covers editing an Existing Person. To create a new Person, please see the Create a New User Guide here.)
Each employee's Person Details page is available from the Company --> People page by clicking the "edit" pencil icon, or double-clicking the employee's name.
The page has several different sections, which can be accessed by scrolling down, or using the navigation options on the left:
To edit a specific section, use the "Edit Section" button for each section:
Read on for more information about each section of the Person Details page:
Custom Fields (if using)
Timesheet Settings & Approvals
Time Off Balance & Accruals
Resource Management & Billing Goals
Security & Permissions
Actions (Delete, Send Welcome Email, Reset Password, Audit Log, )
Accounting & Payroll (when QuickBooks is the Accounting/Payroll application)
Billing Rates (when using Person-based Billing Rates)
Project Availability (when Project Lists Controls are set to Maximum)
Review Performance (Employee Performance)
Basic Information is where general information regarding an employee is kept:
The only fields that are required here are the Full Name and Email Address fields. Changing name/email address does not affect their password - they can continue to use the new email address with the previous password to log in. There is a limit of 50 characters for these fields.
The Basic Information section also has the following optional fields:
Start Date and End Date: Use these fields to specify a Person’s start and end dates. If your company uses Timesheet Approvals, the Person will only be able to submit timesheets that fall within those dates. If you are using the Time Off Accruals feature (more details here), Time Off cannot be accrued outside of these dates. Employees will not be able to log hours outside of their Start and End Date.
Role: Use this field to specify the Person’s role. This is particularly useful for Resource Management.
Employment: Use this field to specify the Person’s employment type (for example, Full-time employee, Contractor, etc.). If your company uses Leave Type Restrictions, the employment type will determine which time off is available on a person’s timesheet. For information on how to add and manage Employment Types, please click here.
Division: Use this field to assign the Person to a Division. Depending on your company’s settings, assigning a Person to a Division can determine who can approve that Person’s timesheets and expenses, and which Projects appear on the Person’s timesheets. For information on how to add and manage Divisions, please click here.
Default Task: Use this field to set the Person’s default task. When the Person enters time, the default task will show first in the list of available tasks. A Person can also set their own default tasks by navigating to My Preferences.
Employee Number: Use this field to enter a Person’s employee number for internal data purposes.
Accounting Package Person ID: Useful when exporting data for accounting integration. Enter your accounting software’s corresponding ID value for this Person.
Status: Use this to set the Person as active or inactive. Please note that only active employees can log in to their account and enter time and expenses.
Notes: Use this field to enter any notes about this Person.
When making changes, please be aware of the following:
- Changing a Person’s Start or End date may result in a partial month’s Time Off Accruals. For more information on this, please see Time Off Balance & Accruals. Changing a Person’s Employment type may have an effect on which Leave Types are available to the person if your company is using Leave Type Restrictions. For more information on Leave Type Restrictions, please click here.
- Changing a Person’s Division, depending on how your company is configured, may result in a different approver for the Person’s time and/or expenses. For more information on Managing by Divisions, please click here.
- You can activate or inactivate a Person’s account to permit or restrict the Person from accessing their account and entering time and/or expenses.
- Please note that if a Person has a timesheet waiting for approval and/or a running or unsaved stopwatch, the Person cannot be inactivated. More information about possible solutions for people who cannot be marked as inactive can be found here.
If your company uses Custom Fields, the Custom Fields section will show under the Basic Information section. You must complete the ones that are required (marked with an asterisk) prior to adding the new Person. Required custom fields are configured by your company. For more information on Custom Fields, please see here.
The Timesheet Settings & Approvals section will show under the Basic Information and Custom Fields (if using) sections. This section is divided into two parts, Approvals, and Settings.
The Approvals section is where you can set up the Approver for Timesheets, Time Off Requests, and Expense Sheets. The drop-down options will include all Administrators and those Managers with the appropriate permissions:
For more assistance with setting up a Timesheet Approver, please see here.
For more assistance with setting up a Time Off Approver, please see here.
For more assistance with setting up an Expense Sheet Approver, please see here.
Time Entry Settings:
The Time Entry settings are where you set up requirements for the employee when they enter time.
- Timesheet is incomplete: This is where you specify how many hours per day or week someone is expected to work. More information on this setting can be found in this help documentation (please note: only organization on a weekly or bi-weekly timesheet model can use the "per week" setting - other organizations will have to set a rule "per day").
- Incomplete timesheets cannot be submitted: Check this box if you wish to prevent people from submitting time until they have entered the minimum number of hours.
- Notes must be entered: Check this box to require the employee to enter a note with every time entry (more information here and here).
Enabling the following will require that your employees log time via Day View:
- Start and end times must be entered: Check this box to require the employee to use Start/End times for every time entry as seen on this timesheet (Start/End Times require the use of Day View - more information here). Using this requirement will also display the Start/End times when using the Mobile Application (only those employees required to use Start/End times will see this in the Mobile Application - we do not currently support optional Start/End times via the Mobile Application). More details on the Mobile Application can be found here.
- Allow entering break times: Check this box if the employee should have the option to enter a break.
- Prevent stopwatches from being restarted: Check this box if the employee must use a new time entry row when using the stopwatch (they will not be able to pause/un-pause the stopwatch).
- Time can only be entered with a stopwatch: Check this box to require the employee to use the stopwatch with every time entry (more information here). The Administrator (or Manager with appropriate permissions) can still enter start/end times on their behalf in Override mode (more details here). Please note requiring the stopwatch is not currently supported in our Mobile Application.
This is where you can view the current balance for each Leave Type the employee has. Those using the Accruals Module can also see the hours the employee accrues each month. Use the "edit" pencil icon to make changes to the Balance or Accrual Module.
For more details regarding Time Off Balances, please see here.
This is where you can set the expected number of hours the employee will work each week and what percentage of those hours should be billable. The numbers here will determine the employee's monthly capacity on the Resource Management grid.
For more information on Resource Management, please see here.
In ClickTime, the Cost is used to help estimate the costs associated with staffing the employee (salary, bonuses, benefits, etc). This is per hour and will be used in calculating Profitability in some reports. Only Administrators, or Managers with "Add and Edit Cost Rates", will be able to update a Cost Rate.
Please note that when an employee creates a time entry, their Cost is included with that time entry. You can retroactively change the Cost Rate for unlocked time entries. If you need to change the Cost Rate for a time entry that is part of a locked/approved timesheet, you will need to first reject/unlock the timesheet, apply the changes retroactively, and then re-approve/re-lock the timesheet. More information on Locking/Unlocking Timesheets can be found here.
To learn more about Cost Rates, please see the Cost Rate guide here.
This is where you can change the type of access an employee has. Standard Users will only be able to enter time. Managers have several different options you can set up on a person-by-person basis. Administrators will have access to all aspects of ClickTime.
For more information on how the different security levels and permissions work, please see here.
In addition to the Person Details, the Actions menu (located at the top right of the page) offers several options:
Delete: Use this to delete the Person entirely from the system. Please note that People cannot be deleted if they have time, expense, or resource management data associated with them. Also, if a person is set to approve timesheets, expenses or projects, they will no longer be configured as the approver and, the admin who deleted the user becomes the approver for those people.
Send Welcome Email: This option will only appear if the employee is active, but has not yet logged into ClickTime. Use this to send them a Welcome Email with their login instructions. You can also re-send Welcome Emails to multiple users from the People List View page by following these instructions.
Reset Password: Use this option to email the Person instructions to reset their password.
Download Audit Log: This option will only be available if your organization is using the Audit Logging Module (details here). Use this option to download the Audit Log report (includes all information about this Person) as an Excel file.
In this section you can select or change the Person’s Payroll Type. This will synchronize with the corresponding QuickBooks Payroll Type.
ClickTime will only export three (3) payroll items: Salary, Hourly Regular Rate and your task list. If the payroll items do not correspond, you will be asked to assign the correct payroll item in QuickBooks for each time entry when exporting.
If your company’s Billing Rates model is set to Person and you are an Administrator, or Manager with "Add and Edit Billing Rate" permissions, a second section will be visible on the person creation page. You can navigate to this section after completing the Basic Information and set up the Billing Rates for the Person.
For more assistance with Billing Rates, please see the Billing Rates Guide here.
If your company's Project List settings are set to Maximum, the Project Availability section will be visible on the person creation page. You can navigate to this section to specify which Projects the Person can access.
For more information on Project Availability, please see the Project Availability Guide here.
The "Review Performance" option will appear for Administrators (as well as Managers with the appropriate permissions) for Corporate and Enterprise accounts that have enabled Billing Rate options:
This is the same report that can be accessed using the "Performance" link on the Company --> People page:
For more information, please see the Employee Performance Help Guide here.