This guide is intended to address Frequently Asked Questions that will assist Administrators (and Managers with the appropriate permissions) of paying ClickTime Accounts.
In addition to this guide, they may also find the following resources helpful:
- Logging Into ClickTime (Instructions and Troubleshooting)
- Managing Your Clicktime Account
- Standard User FAQs
- Demo Customer FAQs
Use the links below to skip to the section of the Administrator FAQ you are looking for.
- How Do I Set Up My Account?
- What Are the System Requirements for using ClickTime?
- How Do I Create a New ClickTime User & Give Them Access?
- What Are the Different Types of Security Levels?
- Why Is My Newly Added Employee Not Displayed On the Timesheet Review Page?
- What Do I Do When an Employee No Longer Works With My Organization / Does Not Need To Track Time Anymore?
- How Do I Give an Inactive Person Access to ClickTime?
- Why Don't My Staff See The New Client I Created in Their Time Entry Options?
- How Do We Remove a Client / Project / Task From Time Entry Options While Retaining Their Data?
- How Do We Reactivate a Client / Project / Task That Has Been Marked as Inactive?
- How Do I Change My Credit Card / Other Payment Info?
- Does ClickTime Track Time Off?
- How Do I Edit a Timesheet On Behalf Of Another Person?
- How Do I Change Billing Rates?
- What Reporting Options Do I Have If I Cannot Find The Specific Report I Need?
- How Do I Cancel My ClickTime Subscription?
If you do not see your question above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415-684-1180 / 1-888-746-8227 and choose option #3 for support (demo and prospective customers can choose option #2 to speak to our Sales Team, or email email@example.com). Our Offices are open M-F, 9am-5pm, Pacific Time.
ClickTime has several guides to assist you with your Account Setup. Please see our Get Started guides here.
You should also have received an email from your assigned Account Executive after signing up for a trial. They are experts at first-time account setup and your best resource if you have any questions about ClickTime or would like a trial.
The current system requirements can be found here.
New Users can be created from the Company --> People page using the "Add Person" link:
Unless you specify otherwise, your staff will receive a Welcome Email after their account is created. For more information on how to create a new user in ClickTime, please see the Create a New ClickTime User guide here.
ClickTime has three types of Security:
- Standard Users can log time (and expenses if you are using the Expenses Module) as well as run reports for the time/expenses they have entered
- Managers can be configured with several different permissions
- Administrators have full access to the system, outside of a few changes that only ClickTime staff can make
For more information, please see the Understanding Security Levels guide here.
The Company --> Timesheets page (or Timesheet Review page) can be used to find existing timesheets for your employees and either take action (Lock, Approve, Reject, etc), or view using the "Details" icon. More information on the features from this page are available in this help documentation.
Please note that someone who was added to the system today will not yet have a timesheet for them displayed on this page just yet. ClickTime will create a timesheet for this new user when one of the ofllowing occurs:
- When the employee logs in and loads the Week View page
- When time is entered by the employee (or an Administrator using the Timesheet Override feature)
- By running the Horizontal Timesheet report for the employee from the Company --> Reports page
- If none of the above happen, ClickTime will generate a timesheet for the employee at midnight so the timesheet will be visible the next day
If you need to enter hours for the employee without waiting until tomorrow, please use the "Override Timesheets" option to do so.
More information on using this feature can be found in this help documentation.
If there are people who no longer work with your or do not need to track time anymore, we recommend changing the status of their account to "Inactive". This means that all the time entries they have made will stay in the system and be included in reports, but they will no longer be able to log into ClickTime and will not count towards your monthly invoices.
There are two methods you can use to inactivate People:
- From the Company --> People page, find the name(s) of any employees who do not need to use ClickTime anymore. Check the box next to their name, and then use the "Actions" option in the top-right corner to "Mark as Inactive".
You should then see a message letting you know how many rows were updated.
In some cases there are additional changes that must take place and the system will not be able to inactivate from the Person List View page. You will instead need to inactivate one-at-a-time using the Person Details page.
- From the Company --> People page, click into their Person Details page (either by double-clicking their name, or single-clicking the "edit" pencil icon). Then choose to "Edit" the Basic Information section of their record, change the status to "Inactive" and then "Update":
You should then see a message letting you know your changes have been saved.
If the person you entered into the system has never logged time, you can also use the "Delete" option from the "Actions" menu to remove them from ClickTime entirely. Only people who have not entered time/expenses can be deleted.
- If the employee has submitted a timesheet that has not yet been approved (or rejected) you will not be able to inactivate them until the timesheet status is updated. Please use the Company --> Timesheets page to review and approve/reject their timesheet(s) - more details here.
- If the employee has submitted an expense sheet that has not yet been approved (or rejected) you will not be able to inactivate them until the expense sheet status is updated. Please use the Company --> Expenses page to review and approve/reject their expense sheet(s) - more details here.
- If the employee has a running or unsaved stopwatch, you will not be able to inactivate them. Please have the employee resolve any lingering stopwatches by either deleting the time entry or "Ending" the stopwatch. You can also use the "Running and Unsaved Stopwatches" Report from the Company --> Reports page (in the Miscellaneous section) to find any unresolved stopwatch time entries and either notify them or override their timesheet and make the changes yourself.
- If the employee is currently set as the Default Approver for someone, or is the "sender" of an Automated Notification, you will have to inactivate the employee from their Person Details page. When inactivating someone who approves timesheets, ClickTime will re-assign those timesheets to instead be approved by you. If you inactivate someone who is set as the "sender" of an Automated Notification, you will be the new "sender" of that message. These changes are messaged to you before the inactivation is processed.
If you have someone in your account who has a status of "Inactive", they will not be able to access ClickTime and will not receive the Reset Password emails. In order for the employee to log in, you will need to change their status back to "Active". There are two ways to activate an inactive person:
- From the Company --> People page, use the "Filter by" option to view all "Inactive" employees. Then check the box next to their name and use the "Actions" option at the top to "Mark as Active". You can do this for multiple employees at the same time.
You will then see a confirmation message indicating how many rows were updated:
- From the Person Details page you can "Edit" the Basic Information section of their record. Change the status to "Active" and then click the "Update" option.
Once the employee is active, they can log in with the password they used to use, or use the "Forgot your password" option on the login page to generate a new Reset Password email (more details here).
After you create a new Client you will need to make sure you create at least one active Project that is associated with the Client before your staff can log time to the Client.
If both a Client and a Project have been created and your employee is still not able to log time to that Client, this is likely due to one of the following reasons:
- The employee needs to update their My Projects page to include the Client/Project in their time entry options
- You need to make the Client/Project available to the Division the employee(s) work in
- You need to make the Client/Project available to the individual employee(s)
This will be determined by the Project List Controls on your Company --> Preferences page. For assistance with Project List Controls, please see the Project Availability guide here.
If your staff should no longer track time to a specific Client/Project/Task but there is data associated with them, you will want to change the status of the Client/Project/Task to "inactive". This will retain all their data but the Client/Project/Task will no longer be available to log hours to.
You can inactivate from the List View page using the "Actions" option:
Or from the appropriate Client/Project/Task Detail page by changing the status to "Inactive":
For more assistance on editing Clients/Projects/Tasks, please see the appropriate guide:
Sometimes an inactivate Client, Project, or Task may need to be reactivated. This could be because your staff need to start tracking time against those options again, or it could be because there are associated time entries that are "locked" since the option is no longer active:
In order to see the inactive option from the appropriate List View page, you'll need to make sure you are viewing "Inactive" or "Active and Inactive" options:
There are two methods to reactivate something that is inactive:
- From the List View page, check the box for the options you need to reactivate. Then use the "Actions" drop-down menu to "Mark as Active":
- You can also click into the Details page. Change the "status" to "Active" and then click "Update" or "Save"
Your Credit Card and Payment information can be updated at anytime by a local ClickTime Administrator from the Company --> Preferences page using the "Update your Credit Card and Payment Information" option:
For more assistance making these changes, please see the Managing Your ClickTime Account Guide here.
All ClickTime accounts will have be able to add/manage the "Approval Not Required" Leave Types. These are types of Leave that can be self-reported by the employee on their timesheet. More information on Approval Not Required Time Off (also known as "Basic Time Off") can be found in this Help Center article.
In addition to the "Approval Not Required" Leave Type, organizations on a Team (or above) Plan will be able to configure the following:
- Automated Monthly Time Off Accruals - your team can automatically add hours to employee's balance . These are added once-a-month for hours earned the previous month
- "Approval Required" Leave Types - employees will request time off for these Leave Types from their Time Off Approver
- "Company Holiday" Leave Types - these are holiday hours that Administrators can add to employee's timesheets from the back-end so staff does not have to enter the hours themselves
- Calendar Feed - Approval Required and Company Holiday entries can be synchronized with your Google, Apple, or Outlook Calendar as a read-only link
Administrators and Managers with Override Permissions can add/edit/delete time entries on behalf of their staff. This workflow is outlined in the Overriding Timesheets Guide here.
ClickTime supports 7 different Billing Rate Models and allows you to change those rates at any time. For more assistance, please see the Changing Billing Rates for Historic Time Entries section of our Billing Rates Guide.
ClickTime has dozens of out-of-the-box reports as well as custom report building tools. The following guides should be helpful:
- Understanding the Reporting Options
- Create Your Own Report with the Report Builder Tool (for Corporate and Enterprise Accounts)
- Using the Customizable Data Export
Unless otherwise specified, ClickTime accounts are on a monthly subscription based on your per-user cost and the average number of users you had in your account each month. A local ClickTime Administrator for the organization can cancel the subscription at any time by going to https://www.clicktime.com/cancel. After logging in to confirm you have Administrative access for your account, you will be asked to fill out a form indicating the reason you'd like to cancel and when you would like your cancellation to be effective. You will also see three data archive options.
After submitting this request, you should receive an automated email letting you know we have received your cancellation request. We will then send you a separate email to confirm your cancellation has been fully processed. Since ClickTime bills in arrears, you will receive a final invoice that is charged to the credit card on file.
This process is outlined in more detail in the Managing Your ClickTime Account FAQ here.
A note to our customers: This guide is constantly evolving—if there is a question you think should be addressed here, please let our Support Team know and we'll be happy to consider any requests to update this guide with more documentation.