The ClickTime Connector for QuickBooks is a free application you can use to synchronize your ClickTime data with your QuickBooks Company File.
The integration is supported for the following:
- US, Windows versions of QuickBooks 2006 and up (Canadian and United Kingdom editions will likely work but not are not officially supported)
- The QuickBooks Company File and ClickTime Connector are installed on the same physical machine (for assistance with hosted versions of QuickBooks, please contact one of our hosting partners, which are listed here)
- Approved Expenses will be exported to a Vendor account as USD
- Time Off can be linked to one of two Payroll Items when using QuickBooks Payroll. You will need to enable Leave Type List Controls on the Company --> Preferences page here in order to export Time Off entries
- The ClickTime account can synchronize time and expenses to a single QuickBooks Company File. While you may be able to use the Connector with more than one account or more than one Company File, our Support Team will not be able to support that workflow if any issues occur
- Time will be associated with the linked ClickTime employee and associated with the linked ClickTime Client, Project, and Task. Client/Projects in ClickTime will need to be linked to a QuickBooks Customer/Job, and Tasks in ClickTime will be be linked to a QuickBooks Service Item
- You must be a ClickTime Administrator to log into the Connector
- You must be be logged into Windows as an Administrator when installing / accessing the Connector
- You must be a QuickBooks Administrator using QuickBooks in single-user mode to process the synchronization
- Time-tracking must be enabled in QuickBooks, and your ClickTime accounting application (on the Company --> Preferences page here) must be set to QuickBooks
- Class information can be exported - more details below
- The Connector can be used to create People/Clients/Projects/Tasks in ClickTime or Employees/Customers/Jobs/Service Items in QuickBooks
The Connector is not designed to support the following:
- Multi-user mode QuickBooks files
- Exporting sub-project data
- Exporting to multiple QuickBooks files at one time
- Exporting expenses in a currency other than USD
- QuickBooks sub-classes
- Classification of Overtime. ClickTime will export time entries from ClickTime, but if you need to use QuickBooks to determine Overtime, that will need to be configured in QuickBooks
- Exporting Billing Rates from ClickTime - invoicing is expected to be done in QuickBooks once the time entries have been synchronized to QuickBooks (If you are interested in using ClickTime Billing Rates, our Professional Services Team may be able to assist - you can engage with them using this form)
- Changes made in ClickTime while the Connector is open. If anything changes in ClickTime during your session, please restart the Connector to ensure the most recent data moves over
- QuickBooks Company Files that are stored on a virtual machine. If you are interested in working with an official ClickTime QuickBooks hosting partner, please see a list of partners here
For best results:
- We recommend thoroughly reviewing all documentation on this integration and watching the Overview video (available at the bottom of this page) in full to be sure your setup is supported before proceeding to install and use the Connector
- If possible, we recommend creating new Clients/Projects/Tasks in ClickTime first and using the Connector to create them in QuickBooks
- If you are having difficulty exporting time for many people for many days, please try using the Connector to export time for a single person for a smaller date range. This can be helpful in isolating a problematic time entry or other setting
- A complete list of troubleshooting tips can be found here
ClickTime also recommends regularly backing up your QuickBooks file. You can consult your QuickBooks user manual or contact Intuit directly for assistance with backing up and restoring your QuickBooks data.
If you are using QuickBooks payroll, you will want to make sure to do the following before attempting to synchronize:
- Enable "Leave Type List Controls" on your Company --> Preferences page here.
- If your employees are either Salary or Hourly (with a fixed wage), create these two payroll items in your QuickBooks® account. They need to be created exactly as "Salary" and "Hourly Regular Rate". You can define the "Payroll Type" in ClickTime on the Person Details page. Whatever this field is set to when the time entries are saved will be the Payroll Type associated with the time entries.
- If your employees receive a paycheck based on the tasks they perform, create your payroll item list exactly as it appears in your task list. When ClickTime exports the payroll item for these employees, it is going to duplicate the task list in the payroll item list. Thus, your payroll item list could be quite extensive for employees paid by task. For example, in ClickTime your task is "Administration". The payroll item you need to create is "Administration," and you need to attach a rate to that.
- Either create or edit your employee list so that the correct payroll items are attached to their names. You should attach a rate to each payroll item. If you don't, it will create a "$0.00" rate and your paychecks will not be generated properly.
ClickTime supports exporting time data into QuickBooks and associating that time with QuickBooks Classes. Through the use of a custom field in ClickTime, you can define the QuickBooks Class for people, clients, jobs, tasks or divisions. Class information can be exported using The ClickTime Connector.
To include class information in your QuickBooks exports, you will need to create a custom field to the item that corresponds to your classes by following these steps:
- Sign in as a ClickTime administrator and go to the Company --> Preferences --> Custom Fields page.
- Click the "Add Custom Field" button.
- Enter "QB_Export_Class" as the custom field name.
- Enter a display name that describes your class values (For example: profit center, location, etc.).
- Select the association (Client, Project, Task, Person, Division, Company, or Timesheet Entry).
- Enter your class values in the field provided, with each value on its own line.
- Click the "Save" button.
In the example above, any time entries that include a "San Francisco" selection for a custom field on time-entry, will be marked with "San Francisco" in QuickBooks.
More information about Custom Fields can be found in this article.
This video will walk you through the process of downloading and installing the Connector, as well as using it to export time and expense data. We strongly recommend watching this video in full before proceeding to use the Connector.