ClickTime's Client Invoice Report can be used to include both Expenses that have been billed to a Project, as well as all time entries associated with the Client. It also supports a method to include the contact information for your Clients within Excel file.
In order to add contact information to the Client Invoice report, you'll need to first create some Custom Fields to capture that information. This can be done from the Company --> Preferences --> Custom Fields page:
and then click "Add Custom Field":
You can set up to 8 "Text" Custom Fields and associate them with the "Client":
In order for these fields to be included in the report, you must name the Custom Field "Address1" through "Address 8" (depending on how many fields you used). Here is a screenshot of 6 Address Fields that were set up for all Clients (we recommend using the same or similar display names as in the screenshot for clarity):
Once the Fields are created, you will see the fields in the Custom Field section of every Client Details page:
The field will be ordered alphabetically by Display Name on the Client Details page.
When you are ready to run your report, go to the Company --> Reports page and expand the Clients section. Then click on the "Client Invoice (Excel)" report to see the preview, and then "Run Report":
Next, set up your report criteria. The Client Invoice report has several options, some of which are specific to this report.
Title: You can set a name for this particular report that will appear on all worksheets in the file
Include: This report can be run to include "only time entries", "only expenses" and both "time and expenses"
Date Range: Choose the date range for which time/expense entries the report should include
Billable/Non-Billable: You can choose whether to include "all" time and expenses, time and expenses that are "billable only" time and expenses, or time and expenses that are "non-billable only"
Starting Invoice Number: This will be the first invoice number for th efirst worksheet. For example, if you entered #001 and you ran the report for only one Client, the number #001 will be the invoice number for that Client. If you run the report for 3 Clients, the report will automatically count the following invoice numbers (e.g. #002 and #003) for the second and third Clients. (Note: ClickTime is not meant to be used as an accounting package software, therefore the invoice numbers are not stored anywhere in our system. It is your responsibility to make sure you will not repeat invoice numbers when you generate another batch of invoice)
Approval Status: You can choose to include "all" time and expense entries, "only approved or locked" time and expense entries, or only "not locked / not approved" time and expense entries
This report also allows you to apply a label to any exported entries and to exclude entries that have been marked with the label, similar to the Customizable Data Export. More details on Labels can be found in this video.
Next, choose the Clients or Projects you wish to include in the report. If you choose by Client, you will have the option to "include only active projects". Then click "Run Report":
When the report is generated, you will be brought to a page where you can download the .xlsx file. We recommend following the instructions on the page to download the file to your computer and then opening in Excel.
Each Client or Project will have its own worksheet within the file:
The invoice name and contact information for each Client (if you've entered it) will be displayed at the top of the report:
Worked hours and Expenses will be separated and sub-totaled below:
- Save your invoices internally. ClickTime does not save invoices after they have been generated
- Create invoices for locked/approved entries. This will prevent any changes being made within your time frame when an invoice has already been created. Keeping a printed copy may also be helpful if there are concerns about viewing older invoices
- If you experience slowness, please try running the same report for less Clients
- The display of the Client name in the worksheet will be limited to 30 characters. This is a limitation of the .xlsx file format. This may be an issue if you have two Clients with the same first 30 characters in their name - please change the name of the Clients to something more unique if this is problematic
- Mac users will need to use MS Office 2004 or newer
- There are some known issues using versions of MS Office before 2007 when you have more than 150 projects per Client
- If no time or expense entries were logged for a selected Client/Project, the tab will not appear in the worksheet
- Microsoft Excel has a limit of 300 worksheets per workbook. Please limit your selection to no more than 300 options when running this report