The ClickTime Connector for QuickBooks application was designed to quickly move time and expense data from your ClickTime account to your locally installed QuickBooks Company File.
For best results, we recommend reviewing this video in full and then reviewing the following Help Documents when using the Connector:
If you experience any errors or unexpected behavior with using the Connector, the above guides should be helpful to make sure what you are trying to do is supported and correctly set up.
If, however, you experience errors during installation or synchronization, this guide should be useful in troubleshooting those specific errors. You can always email ClickTime Support with more information on your error (and any steps you took to try to resolve the issue) and they will be happy to assist.
Please note: These instructions are geared towards users who have successfully used the Connector in the past and are now experiencing errors. If you have not yet used the Connector to synchronize time or expenses, you may want to uninstall the Connector and QBFC11 files, restart your computer, and try to reinstall both files (the installation process is covered in detail here).
Errors You May Experience When Using the ClickTime Connector for QuickBooks:
Connector stops abruptly
Unable to complete Setup Wizard - no pop-up to allow access to QuickBooks
Hiding the "x items in QuickBooks lists are missing in ClickTime" message
Cannot create employee from QuickBooks - no email address
Unable to synchronize time to employee - payroll item error
Unable to complete Link Lists Wizard during time synchronization
"Response is not well-formed XML" error when exporting
Asked to use the Link Lists Wizard multiple times in a row during time synchronization
"There is no disk in the drive" error when running the Connector
If you find that the Connector stops at any point in time during your session, please try the following steps:
- If there are ClickTime Projects or QuickBooks Customer:Jobs that are no longer in use, marking them as inactive may help the Connector run without error. Please make sure to synchronize any time entries associated with the Projects or Customer:Jobs before marking them as inactive.
- Issues may be resolved by closing the Connector and QuickBooks. Then re-open QuickBooks and try the Connector again. If you have any difficulty doing so, please restart your computer and try the process again.
- If the Connector is failing during Time Synchronization, please go to the Link Lists Wizard and make sure that all active ClickTime Projects have a related Customer:Job in QuickBooks (more details here)
- If issues continue after trying all these steps, please reach out to ClickTime Support and we can schedule a time to troubleshoot via screenshare.
If you reinstall the Connector, you will be required to complete the Setup Wizard before you can use it. In some cases, you may find that Step 3 of the Setup Wizard is not working as expected. If you are not seeing the pop-up message from QuickBooks asking if the Connector should access your Company File, please try the following:
First, close the Connector.
Then, go to your QuickBooks Preferences (this is typically accessed from the "Edit" options):
Go to "Integrated Applications" and choose "Company":
Click on "ClickTime Connector" and remove/confirm:
Exit Preferences, then try to run the Connector again. You should see the popup this time.
If you do not want to see the "items in QuickBooks lists are missing in ClickTime" message on the landing page, you can use the "Hide" option so it is no longer displayed.
If you do so, you will still need to make sure that a relationship exists between any ClickTime People/Projects/Tasks and the corresponding QuickBooks Employee/Customer:Job/Service Item before you can synchronize time. This can be done from the Link List Wizards (more details here) or when attempting to export time entries (more details here).
If you hide this message, you will not be able to display it again in the future, so please make sure you are certain you want to hide the message before doing so.
When using the Connector to create an employee from QuickBooks, you may experience an error if the employee does not have an email address in your QuickBooks Company file.
To address this, close the Connector and then go to the Employee record in QuickBooks. Open the "Address & Contact" section and enter an email address in the "Main Email" field, and save:
Then try using the Connector to create the employee again.
Alternatively, you could create the employee is ClickTime and then map them using any of the mapping methods discussed here.
You may see the following error the first time you attempt to export time for a new employee:
This indicates that the checkbox is in an unknown state and needs to be addressed. To do so, go to the Employee record in QuickBooks and navigate to the "Payroll Info" section. From there, check and then un-check the "Use time data to create paychecks" box, and then close out of the Edit Employee.
Then restart the Connector and try again.
Please note that Payroll users will likely want to leave this box checked and that the employee has at least one Earning type is defined.
If you are prompted to go through the Link List Wizard during time synchronization, but cannot do so, there is likely some issue with your existing relationships. This could be caused by a few different factors:
- You may be attempting to synchronize time that is associated with multiple inactive items (in either ClickTime or QuickBooks). For best results, please make sure all items are active before using the Connector.
- You may be attempting to link multiple items in ClickTime to the same QuickBooks item. Each ClickTime item should only correspond to a single QuickBooks item - please see the next section for assistance with this issue.
- You may have made a change to ClickTime or QuickBooks since running the Connector. Since the Connector will remember the settings in both ClickTime or QuickBooks as they are when you log into the Connector, you may need to restart the Connector to reflect the new changes.
- Your QuickBooks Company File is too large. It may be helpful to condense your file - before doing so, please make sure to backup your data. Your local Intuit Professional should be able to assist with reducing your file size.
In most cases, using the Link Lists Wizard independently of time synchronization will be the best method to review your settings and resolve. If you continue to have issues, please contact ClickTime Support with more details and we can schedule a troubleshooting session.
If you see an error that reads "Response is not well-formed XML" when attempting to export time entries, this likely is a result of issues with data in one (or more) of the comments associated with a time entry you are trying to synchronize. This typically occurs when employees copy/paste text from a program like Word or somewhere on the web. The time entry saves to ClickTime, but contains additional formatting that is not recognized by QuickBooks when exporting.
To address this, you will need to find the problematic time entries, update them in ClickTime, and then run the Connector again. The best method to find the errors is using our Customizable Data Export (more details here). Follow this process:
- Run the Customizable Data Export for all time entries you are attempting to export. Make sure to include all information about the time entry (Entry Date, employee who entered, Client/Project/Task/Leave Type information, and the Comments field
- Open the resulting file in Excel and then copy the entire column of Comments.
- Paste all comments into a text editor that does not support formatting. We recommend Notepad++, which is available for free download here (the standard Notepad program that comes with all Windows operating systems will not highlight the problematic time entries)
- Next you'll need to scroll through the pasted data to look for the problematic comments. They will often appear as a black box with white characters:
- Once you find the comments, you'll then need to re-enter those comments for any time entries. You should be able to determine which time entry they are by comparing the row in Notepad++ with your Excel document. You can either request your staff make the changes as needed, or do so on their behalf using the Override Timesheets feature (more details here). Please note if the timesheet has been approved or locked, you will need to "Undo Approval" or "Unlock" the timesheet before you can make edits, and will want to re-approve or re-lock it after updating the comment
- Once all time entries have been updated, try the Connector again and it should finish as expected. If you continue to get errors, please repeat the steps to find any other comments with issues
In order for the Connector to run, every item in ClickTime must have a corresponding item in QuickBooks. Only one relationship can exist between each item.
If you are regularly being required to use the Link Lists Wizard and cannot complete the synchronization, it is possible that you are attempting to link multiple items in ClickTime to a single QuickBooks item. The issues is typically reflected in this workflow:
- At the time of synchronization, you are asked to use the Link Lists Wizard
- You go through and find at least one item without a relationship, so you add a relationship to an existing item
- Upon re-running the Connector you are again prompted to use the Link Lists Wizard
- When doing so, an item that was previously linked is now unlinked, so you re-link it
- The next time you run the Connector, you are prompted to use the Link Lists Wizard, and find the same item you linked in Step 1 to be unlinked
In this case, it is very likely that you have more than one ClickTime item linked to the same QuickBooks item. You will need to create a new QuickBooks item for each ClickTime item.
Alternatively, if you find there are duplicated items in ClickTime, you can merge them together using the bulk "Find and replace" option on the Company --> Advanced page, and then re-run the Connector.
Some customers have reported a Windows error that reads "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive 'drive name'". This may be caused by removable hard disk drives, usb readers, or another issue with your local machine.
This error is associated with your computer and not the ClickTime Connector for QuickBooks. If you are experiencing this your local IT team will be best suited to assist.